Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Ariel's GF Cinnamon Bread

I get a craving for something sweet sometimes like any sugar-addicted human being, as we know. I’m a perfect example of those suckers they aim commercials toward. When I’m hungry, I want the first thing I see. I’ve learned self control, however, and I don’t just jump in the car for the nearest IHOP when I see their pancakes on TV. (Holla if you know that craving well) Anyway, I was on Pinterest while hungry, of course, because when am I not? Hungry. Not on Pinterest. I found a recipe for Cinnamon Bread, and it became all I wanted. The recipe seemed simple enough, but I decided I wanted to make it gluten free and refined sugar free. I will say I follow the Paleo Diet, then, in the same day, make something gluten free with brown rice flour or potato flour. Do what you gotta do!

(I always recommend reading through the whole recipe/blog first!)

Cinnamon Bread Recipe: (Makes 2 Loaves)

Batter
1 C Organic Butter, softened
1 C Coconut Palm Sugar
¾ - 1 C Honey
2 Organic Eggs
2 C Organic Milk
2 T Lemon Juice
4 C GF Flour (Namaste is what I used this time, normally I'm a Bob's Red Mill girl)
2 ¼ tsp Baking Soda

Cinnamon/Sugar Mixture
2/3 C Coconut Palm Sugar
2 tsp Cinnamon

Directions:
Cream together the butter, coconut palm sugar, honey, and eggs. Add the milk, flour, and baking soda. Set your oven for 325°. I like to both spray the loaf pans with cooking spray/rub with coconut oil AND put parchment paper down. I’ve made too many breads that I sprayed the pans with cooking spray, and it still wouldn’t come out of the pan without leaving parts of itself stuck inside. I will say, however, that this dough was SO THICK AND STICKY that it was extremely hard to spread over the parchment paper. This will not pour in the least. I had to use a spatula and a spoon to transfer and spread into the pan. I’m not sure if it’s the type of GF flour I used, which was the Namaste Brand from Costco, or what. Transfer ¼ of your batter into one greased loaf pan. Transfer another ¼ of your batter into the second grease loaf pan. In a separate bowl, mix together your coconut palm sugar and cinnamon. Once mixed, sprinkle 75% of your cinnamon sugar mixture over the tops of the batter in your two loaf pans. Add in your remaining batter into pans trying to keep them as even as possible. If you want to make sure they’re exactly even, you can use measuring cups in transferring your batter. With how sticky my batter was though, I didn’t really care at this point. I just wanted it to lay flat in the pan so I could get it in the stinkin’ oven! Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture over the tops of your batters. Then place in the oven for 50 minutes. Cool for 20 minutes in the pans. Be sure to keep an eye on your breads because different flours will bake slower and quicker than others. My Namaste brand gluten free flour baked for over 50 minutes, and I think it probably could have gone longer. With your mixture on top, it’s going to be hard to tell if your bread is done by just visually looking it. A good way to tell your bread is done is to stick a thermometer near the center and check to see if it measures 190°. You also want to make sure your thermometer/toothpick comes out clean and without batter.

Extra Diet Restriction Substitutes:
I’m sure there are variations to this as well. I didn’t try it with an egg substitute, but I’m sure you can. I think this would be a very easy recipe to trade milk for coconut milk. I used organic butter, but I’m sure you could swap that for coconut oil. It would probably be less sticky that way too! If you decide to use all honey keep this in mind.

No Diet Restrictions Substitutions:
If you just don’t care what’s in your bread. You can sub the coconut sugar and honey for 2 C of regular sugar. You’d also swap the Organic Milk and Lemon for 2 C Buttermilk. I didn't have buttermilk on hand, because who does, but, if you ever need a sub for buttermilk, you can add lemon or vinegar to normal milk and that works. If you change the sugar, up the baking temp to 350°, and take out the extra ¼ t of baking soda because the temp is lowered and baking soda increased when working with honey.

ENJOY!

~Ariel

 
 


1 comment:

  1. I feel like I may be able to make this and not burn it... Maybe...

    ReplyDelete